Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Core Value: Team Focus [June, 2011]

My activity for this Core Value is different from the suggested one. I think it relates well to Team Focus, though; and it's easier for me to do, since I'm on 9-month contract.

Last year, one of the positive psychology-related e-mail lists I subscribe to sent a summary of some recent research studies on Consistent Contributors (CCs). I found it intriguing and followed up to read more about the research. The studies found that the presence of a Consistent Contributor--"a person who always contributes, regardless of others' choices"--makes the group as a whole more productive. Researcher J. Keith Murnighan ended the summary with this recommendation: "Anytime you join a group, join one with a consistent contributor. And if there isn't one, consider being one--not just for instrumental reasons."

Murnighan and his coauthor conducted four research studies on Consistent Contributors (CCs). In the discussion section of journal article describing these studies, they state:
These four studies tell a simple, powerful story: CCs emerge, even when they might be least expected; the members of their groups contribute more and cooperate more often; and CCs themselves not only do not suffer from their risky cooperative actions, as most theories say they should, but actually seem to benefit from them (in three of four studies). Groups of more 'rational' actors, in contrast, are not as efficient. [Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 95.6 (2008): 1349-1350.]
I worked with two Consistent Contributors for many years--Virginia Branch and Pat Farthing--and I saw the positive influence they had on our team. We have several Consistent Contributors in the library now, at every level, from student assistants through administrators. I have also heard about Consistent Contributors in other areas of campus, and seen them in action on committees.

There is an important caveat that must be mentioned, however--one that I've learned (the hard way) to keep in mind. We all have many commitments and responsibilities that must be balanced against each other. If I've decided to be a Consistent Contributor on a project or committee--because the task is large or complex, or because a lot is riding on the outcome--I must still be sure that I'm not shortchanging or neglecting my other obligations. I've also learned (I should say, I'm still learning) that I must be careful not to allow my enthusiasm for new projects and initiatives to jeopardize timely and successful completion of existing projects and initiatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment